Ear Discharge / Pain
Discharge from the ear, also known as otorrhea, refers to any fluid that comes out of the ear. Our ears are naturally dry so any form of ear discharge is abnormal and needs to be investigated and treated.
CAUSES OF EAR DISCHARGE
- Ear infection
- Cerebrospinal fluid ( Fluid from the brain)
- Blood if there is trauma or foreign body in the ear
- ENT doctor evaluation
- Microscopic aural toilet
- Ear culture
- May require CT scan if ear discharge is due to a complex cause.
- Don’t dig you ears
- Don’t place foreign bodies in your ears
- Monitor ear bud/ ear piece usage
- For hearing aid wearers, clean your ear domes regularly