Nasal polyps are gradually enlarging, painless growths that form inside the anterior nasal passage.
Polyps are usually characterised by the following symptoms:
- Blocked nose
- Loss or decreased sense of smell
- Phlegm in throat of frequent throat clearing
- Facial pain or purulent nasal mucus
- Nasal quality to voice
TREATMENTTreatment depends on size of the polyps, the symptoms one is experiencing and what previous treatment has been attempted in the past. Treatment options range from:
- Short course of oral steroids
- Topical nasal steroid sprays
- Topical Antileukotriene receptor antagonists
- Endoscopic sinus surgery to debulk the polyps and allow more space of treatment medications to reach polypoidal areas.
- Steroid eluding stents